Interesting post from a colleague on LinkedIn on the topic of Quality and Spirituality.
Deming indirectly linked the quality philosophy with biblical philosophy which introduces a “New Philosophy” or paradigm). Biblical philosophy identifies that God is perfect and man is imperfect but expected to improve. Deming remarked that if he was to reduce his message to just a few words, it “all has to do with reducing variation.” e.g. reducing imperfection. Variation is a difference between the ideal (all human needs met) and the actual (imperfection). Variation either gets better (more needs met) or it gets worse – cost (tangible and intangible), associated with needs not being met). Thus making the continual and continuous reduction of variation a moral imperative. Deming did not provide a definition of variation that provides the context for his work. I believe this was a deliberate decision and a challenge.
In summary, Deming was successful in developing and validating the proof of concept for a New Philosophy that may be added one day alongside the works of the other great philosophers in history.
I would end my comments with the question – How can Deming advocates be more successful in leading the transformation to the better philosophy and methods?
A suggestion for Foundation Principes for Quality Leaders. https://qualityleadershipblog.com/2020/02/29/quality-foundation-for-leaders/
- ASQ – Law of Variation
- Excerpt: “Deming: “The Way We Knew Him: Chapter 14 Involve Everyone in the Transformation. Includes the Requiem.
- Guest Column: Indpls Star – Faith and values section ““People working together can make a more perfect union”
- 21st International Deming Research Seminar: The Deming Paradigm for Reducing Variation: Unknown by Most, Misunderstood by Many, Relevant to All.
- Supporting application at the county level of government – Brown County Leader Network.
- The context for the Einstein Quote