Premise: It’s all about reducing variation from the ideal. Ideals are derived from basic human needs.
“If I had to reduce my message for management to just a few words, I’d say it all had to do with reducing variation” – W. Edwards Deming. (Ref: Henry R. Neave, The Deming Dimension (Knoxville, TN: SPC Press Inc., 1990), p. 57
Vision: By June 30, 2036, Transformation of the prevailing style of American management and thinking leads to more outcomes where everyone gains or at least, are not any worse off.
In June 1986, Deming updated the foreword section for Dr. Shewhart’s book Statistical Method from the Viewpoint of Quality Control. Dr. Deming noted: “Another half-century may pass before the full spectrum of Dr. Shewhart’s contributions has been revealed in liberal education, science, and industry.”
Within an organization, everyone would include anyone that is affected by what the organization does and does not do in the near, mid, and long-term. In addition to organizations, groups include society, local community, industry, customers, stockholders, employees and their families, suppliers, and all levels of government.
Transformation strategies must provide opportunities for training and education for further growth that contribute to joy in work and an improved quality of life.
Criteria for Success. Includes:
- Identification of the feedback that most everyone will use to determine success. Feedback would include upward trends in things gone right and downward trends in things gone wrong. (Trend Interpretation Standard)
- Explicit understanding and application of the four components of change W. Edwards Deming identified as a System of Profound Knowledge (SoPK) by a critical mass of leaders. Dr. Deming identified critical mass as the as the square root of an organization.
- Mitigation of the effects of the Seven Deadly Diseases of Management, and
- Organizational alignment with The 14 Points for the Transformation of Management.
Outcomes include: Within organizations, when everyone works together to improve the quality of products and services by reducing variation from the ideal, the following will occur:
- Costs decrease because of less rework, fewer mistakes, fewer delays and snags, better use of time and materials;
- Productivity improves;
- Capture the market with better quality and lower price; (1)
- Stay in business; and
- Provide jobs and more jobs.
(Ref: Deming Chain Reaction).
(1) Improving Government. “In most governmental services, there is no market to capture. In place of capture of the market, a governmental agency should deliver economically the service prescribed by law or regulation. The aim should be distinction in service. Continual improvement in government service would earn appreciation of the American public and would hold jobs in the service, and help industry to create more jobs.” – WED
Strategic Concept. Dr. Deming reinforced that “top management” is responsible for quality and that transformation is everyone’s job. In America by law (Preamble to the U.S. Constitution), citizens -“We the People” are identified as top management and are responsible for taking action that leads to “a more perfect union:”
- We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Dr. Deming’s methods have been successfully applied by children, employees at all levels in an organization as well as by corporate and military leaders.
The Deming-based philosophy and methods represent the “new technology” that can lead us “Out of the Crisis” and help us transition to “The New Economics for Industry, Government, Education.”